Associate Director of Media Relations, Lehigh University
Communications + Public Affrs
This position provides public relations and editorial support to the team including researching, identifying, pitching, developing, and maintaining media contact lists and databases. This role will write and distribute press releases and provide editorial support as needed.
1. Provide leadership in the development, direction and execution of media relations activities as well as contributions to media relations strategies and tactics
• Secure placements in top national and regional media outlets (academia, consumer, business, technical and trade). Identify high profile stories and angles that enhance recognition and visibility.
• Write and pitch press releases to national media. Develop and foster relationships with national media contacts. Connect university experts with media.
• Write, revise and pitch opinion-editorials for university experts.
• Collaborate with media relations team to brainstorm and execute strategies related to pitches, experts and media contacts.
• Manage local media requests.
2. Develop and foster relationships with faculty, staff and university leadership in colleges and key areas of interest to media.
• Provide media training and coaching for faculty and staff members.
• Coordinate monthly outreach to faculty members.
• Determine and develop key experts within university, meet to uncover news opportunities
3. Develop and maintain databases for media hits, media contacts and university experts.
• Track and measure media hits and success of new strategies.
• Manage and coach new communications associate and develop efficient systems to track media contacts and media mentions as well as ability to quantify and report on media activity at any given time.
4. Provide editorial support.
• Identify and write copy and create videos for online News Center.
• Contribute to website, as needed.
• Contribute to social media efforts.
5. Crisis and Media Team Support
• Manage media relations intern’s work and experience.
• Provide on-call support after hours and on weekends.
• Participate in crisis response tests and actual crisis communications situations.
1. Bachelor’s Degree required
2. Five to eight years related communications work experience
3. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
4. Good writing ability and organizational skills
5. Solid analytical, decision making and problem solving skills
6. Display original thinking and creativity
7. Ability to complete projects on time and on budget, and report on status and progress
8. Demonstrate group presentation skills
9. Solid computer skills with experience using word processing, spreadsheet, database and presentation software
10. Successful completion of standard background checks including but not limited to: social security verification, education verification, national criminal background checks, motor vehicle checks and credit history based upon the requirements of the position
1. Occasional evening, holiday or week hours required
2. Occasional travel required
3. Required to provide on-call support after hours and on weekends
Grade and Hiring Minimum:
10 – 40
Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. Salary adjustments for internal candidates comply with University policy. For more information contact Human Resources.
Required Documents Message:
Cover Letter, Resume