The American Board of Surgery seeks an enthusiastic, proactive individual with excellent written and oral communication skills to fulfill the role of Communications Assistant. The individual must be comfortable using computers, databases, websites, and social media, with willingness to learn new programs as needed. Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office required; experience with creating digital content a plus. Must be extremely professional, organized and detail-oriented.
This individual will support the Director of Communications and Public Affairs, as well as the COO and other office staff. Duties will include managing distribution lists, responding to inquiries, assisting with social media accounts and website updates, drafting news items, and regular updating of booklets and other collateral. The individual will also assist with managing speaking engagements, media requests, and related PR efforts. In addition, this individual will assist with customer service, providing phone and email support to our constituents.
In addition, this individual will provide primary support for one or more of the committees of the ABS, taking responsibility for proactively supporting the work of the committee between meetings, such as arranging phone calls, reaching out to key contacts, and providing documents and materials. This individual will also participate in conference calls and meetings of the assigned committees, take minutes, and help prepare agendas.
This a full-time position located at the ABS offices in Center City Philadelphia. Competitive salary and benefits offered. Some travel, and weekend or off-hours work will be required. The individual will have the opportunity to work with a wide range stakeholders, ensuring they receive critical information in a timely fashion.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Strong writing and editing abilities
• Experience using social media as a communications vehicle
• Ability to use independent judgment and initiative to gather, manage and impart information as needed
• Ability to create and edit engaging content for various print and digital media
• Strong customer service skills
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree; communications, journalism, marketing or related field preferred
• At least 2-3 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified
Applicants should send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.