Lincoln Financial Group is a Fortune 500 company offering a diverse range of financial services and solutions. With a strong focus on four core business areas – life insurance, annuities, retirement plan services, and group protection – our business is built around supporting, preserving, and enhancing our customer’s lifestyles and providing better retirement outcomes. Led by over 8,000 employees, Lincoln Financial provides the tools and advice to help individuals take charge of their futures.
The Consultant, Communications, contributes to the enterprise’s organizational strategies, policies, priorities and goals by supporting all aspects of strategic communications planning and programs. S/He collaborates closely across the enterprise to achieve business goals and enhance the brand and reputation of the enterprise, and brings additional perspective to decision-making by tracking industry trends and issues and analyzing partner, client, investor, and employee perceptions of the company. S/He is responsible for supporting the corporate communications programs that are closely aligned with the short and long-term strategic and financial objectives of Lincoln Financial Group.
- Proactively drive press and media relations activities that appropriately position Lincoln in national mainstream and financial print, broadcast, electronic media, and social media—particularly as related to the company’s Diversity & Inclusion and Lincoln Financial Foundation initiatives.
- Support corporate communication activities, especially a proactive media relations strategy, for Lincoln’s Legacy. This is a three-year initiative led by Diversity & Inclusion and the Lincoln Financial Foundation, and celebrates Lincoln Financial’s connection to President Abraham Lincoln with a variety of events and opportunities.
- Systematically cultivate media contacts and relationships through the use of appropriate technologies, materials and spokespersons in order to ensure timely and accurate delivery of messages. Responsibilities will include pitching press and staffing interviews with key Lincoln spokespeople.
- Support corporate communications activities aligned to the company’s social media campaign. Responsibilities include monitoring social media networks, developing elements of the strategy, crafting proactive and reactive messages, and partner across the organization as a member of the social media team.
- Support the development of external communiqués (memos, press releases, fact sheets, backgrounders, video scripts and other written communications and collateral materials that support the enterprise’s Corporate marketing and business development efforts), analyzing the need for and consulting on preparation of information for a range of audiences.
- Support the generation of news content for internal communications vehicles like the corporate intranet.
- Study and influence partner, client, investor, and employee perceptions of the company.
- Work closely with key constituents at every level of the organization, and particularly senior leaders in Diversity & Inclusion and the Lincoln Financial Foundation.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with key internal partners across the organization such as business line communicators, Digital and Compliance.
- Support the overall strategic vision, as defined by Communications leadership, for the Corporate Communications functional area, and contribute to the overall strategic vision for Lincoln Financial Group through the development and execution of strategic communications and programs.
- Collaborate across the organization to help Corporate Communications achieve its organizational goals and objectives aligned with the integrated communications plans and Lincoln Financial Group’s (LFG) overall business plans and specific strategic and tactical initiatives to drive business results and protect and enhance the brand and reputation of the company.
- Support corporate communications activities across all touch-points and ensure integration across all of those touch-points.
- Support the effective implementation, integration, and execution of Corporate Communications tactical plans and programs.
- Meet all objectives pertaining to quality, compliance, regulations, productivity, customer service, budget, and project management.
- Support the coordination of communication campaigns with the Marketing Leadership team and the lines
- Help track industry trends, issues, and news.
- Support the establishment of benchmarks and performance metrics to track communication effectiveness progress, while maintaining constant focus on bottom-line
- Undergraduate degree or 4+ years of comparable work experience; educational concentration in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, or relevant field is required
- 3-5+ years of experience in corporate communications, journalism, marketing, marketing communications, and/or public relations roles.
- Understanding of the financial services or insurance industries desirable, but not required. Ability to understand Lincoln Financial Group’s internal and external customers and address their needs.
- Experience in supporting and developing strategic initiatives and plans, which have benefited a company’s top and bottom lines.
- Ability to understand the fundamental drivers of the business and the industry at a customer as well as operational level, anticipating change and seeing competitive opportunities in an evolving and growing marketplace.
- Experience as a “thought leader” with respect to customer experience.
- Anticipates future trends and their impact on both the business segment and the enterprise; develops and executes on solutions or, in certain cases, minimize negative exposure
- Demonstrated track record of developing, managing, and executing effective communications strategies and/or public relations campaigns – including, shaping communication strategies for a range of audiences
- Sound foundational corporate communications, media relations and public relations knowledge.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with all types of mainstream and financial media; broadcast and electronic media
- Experience in advising and developing messaging for all levels of the organization, including senior management
- Deep knowledge and ability to apply benchmarks and performance metrics to track progress of marketing programs
- Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills, including a demonstrated ability to write press releases, presentations, and communications to the media
- Confident, comfortable communicator with outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Practices active and attentive listening
- Excellent presentation skills with demonstrated ability to influence at all levels of management through clear, informed and logical discussions/presentations
- Communicates knowledgeably and credibly with senior management and internal constituents
- Advocates effectively, readily commands attention and respect in groups – people listen to and get on board
- Strong at communicating and influencing others inside and outside the organization, able to persuade and shape the message to achieve the best business outcome for the company
- Critical thinker with an ability to analyze information and to evaluate the implications of a course of action or strategy
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret both internal and external documents such as general media/publications, professional journals, technical procedures, governmental regulations, policies, proposals, and standard operating procedures
- Exceptional writing, editing, proofreading skills
- Understands the interdependencies of how people and organizations function, and can negotiate through complex political situations effectively
- Demonstrates effective interaction at all levels, internally and externally –particularly with media contacts – engendering confidence and professional regard as a trusted, credible and valued colleague who works collaboratively; diplomatic, politically savvy, and sensitive, without being political. Sought after for advice, counsel, and judgment
- Finds common ground and can gain collaboration among senior management, colleagues and peers – can influence outcomes without directing or commanding
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills with collaborative style
- Demonstrated experience in motivating others in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Excellent in leading project management including, critical ability to coordinate and balance multiple tasks in a time-sensitive environment, under pressure, and meeting deadlines
To learn more about this role and apply to the position, please visit www.lfg.com/careers and search for position number 14-0036.