Bryn Mawr Presbyterian Church is seeking an entry-level Communications Coordinator to provide communications and basic graphic design support; write, edit, and proofread church communications; and manage the following responsibilities, under the direction of the Director of Communications:
• learn “the voice” of BMPC and effectively communicate its message to the community
• create and send a weekly email newsletter to the congregation using our current tools
(Constant Contact or similar)
• manage, update, and monitor the website in partnership with our 3rd party web design firm
• create and monitor social media postings, keeping content accurate, fresh, and consistent with the BMPC tone, style, and message
• prepare weekly church bulletins for services, manage submissions according to guidelines, and assure that bulletins are printed by Thursday afternoon. Prepare special service bulletins as needed.
• assist with external public relations efforts, including writing and distributing press releases, posting on social media sites, and posting on web news sites.
• design and produce other church publications, including the Annual Report, Lenten
Devotional, Ministries Guide, and other material as needed
• design, edit, and produce the quarterly church newsletter and assure that it is printed and mailed in a timely manner
• design and produce other flyers, brochures, posters, cards, as needed
• respond to special staff requests as needed.
• provide administrative support for the Communications Committee as requested by the
Director of Communications
Education/Experience Requirements: Candidates must have one to three years of related experience and a bachelor’s degree in communications, English, PR, or a related field. Solid verbal and written ability is essential; three work samples are required for consideration. Experience and proficiency in graphic design (and design tools such as Photoshop and InDesign); social media tools; MS Office tools (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, other); and web development (Joomla preferred) is ideal.
Other Job Expectations:
In addition to providing communications support, other requirements include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Church Representation: The candidate will not be a member of BMPC; however, candidates with experience in the Presbyterian (USA) church, or other faith communities, are especially encouraged to apply. We expect the candidate to learn as much as possible about the church, be committed to responsiveness and high quality work, think strategically toward problem- solving, and have good work and personal ethics. This person should be willing to
o Serve as a cordial, knowledgeable source of information about Bryn Mawr
Presbyterian Church and the Presbyterian Church USA
o Represent the church well through appropriate language, dress, and courteousness
o Respond to the needs and requirements of staff members in an accurate, timely
o Learn and use church systems for email, online scheduling, data management, etc.
• Interpersonal skills: Candidate will be part of the BMPC staff and as such is expected to
o Maintain confidentiality.
o Attend regular staff meetings.
o Exhibit good teamwork, listening skills, and respect for others.
o Meet deadlines.
o Demonstrate flexibility.
o Be responsive and responsible.
• The normal work schedule is Monday through Friday, 9:00 am – 5:00 p.m. Weekend work is not expected.
RELATIONSHIPS, AUTHORITY AND ACCOUNTABILITY:
The Communications Coordinator is accountable to the Session, the Director of Communications,
the pastoral staff, the Personnel Committee, and to the Communications Committee.
BMPC offers competitive salary and benefits. Send cover letter, resume and work samples to email@example.com. No phone calls.