Valley Forge Convention and Visitors Bureau is seeking a Communications
Manager (exempt) reporting to the Director of Communications.
SUMMARY: Manages and implements media relations efforts for the Valley
Forge Convention and Visitors Bureau according to plans and directives
of the Director of Communications and the Bureaus Strategic Plan.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to
– General Destination Marketing Support: In a timely fashion, respond
or, as appropriate, coordinate response to media inquiries in
consultation with the department director.
– Execute the Bureaus media strategy as directed by the Director of
– Research, write and edit press and feature articles and stories and
promotional materials as directed by the department director.
– Target and establish and nurture relationships with appropriate
local, regional, national and international consumer and trade media
– Identify and develop opportunities to localize national stories.
– Attend and participate in industry-related meetings, trade shows,
conferences, seminars and media marketplaces as determined by the
– Maintain, manage and employ Vocus media contacts database to raise
the level of media awareness of the destination.
– Follow up on all news and feature story releases to measure, record
and disseminate pick-up to appropriate internal staff, members and
– Assist the department director in budget planning.
– Sales and Membership Support: In conjunction with and support of the
Bureaus sales department directors and sales managers, brainstorm and
develop ideas and opportunities for feature articles, interviews and
other public relations activities to promote the Valley Forge area and
Montgomery County as a destination for conventions, meetings, trade
shows and individual and group leisure travelers.
– Plan and implement familiarization (FAM) tours for appropriate,
qualified consumer, meetings and travel trade media journalists as
directed by the department director. Coordinate same with appropriate
member businesses and business partners.
– Interact with the Bureaus sales department directors, members and
business partners to develop and maintain understanding of their
communications requirements and impart to them the Bureaus abilities to
help them meet same.
– Identify and compile information about and relevant to members for
inclusion in appropriate Bureau e-newsletters, press and collateral
materials and on its website, as determined in consultation with the
– General: Discretion; sound judgment; creativity; initiative;
flexibility; high-energy; ability to relate to and work with the Bureaus
senior executives, members and business partners.
– Technical: Excellent oral and written communication skills;
Proficient in AP journalism style, creative and business writing.
– Proficient in the use of MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and
Outlook) computer software programs commonly employed in writing and
copy-editing; Command of software for data input in and maintenance of
media database; proficient in Internet research.
– Basic understanding of and skills in photography, video production
and website use, for application in execution of social media efforts.
– Possess ongoing relationships with consumer, business and travel
– Limited overnight travel.
Education and Experience: Bachelors degree in a communications-related
discipline; Three to five years of public relations agency or internal
communications department experience
Contact: Qualified candidates should email a cover letter and resume
to: email@example.com<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>. NO phone calls.