Company: Schuylkill River Greenways NHA
Job Title: Communications, PR & Event Coordinator
Location: Pottstown, PA
Job Description: The Communications, PR & Event Coordinator has overall responsibility for all media relations, all e-mail communications with members and followers, all social media content and posting, and website development and updates. In addition, this position works with other team members to manage membership drives and membership outreach. Finally, the position entails management of several annual events as well as many other ongoing events such as press conferences, member outings and trail cleanups. The position reports directly to the Executive Director, but works collaboratively with seven other professionals in finance, grants, trails management, educational programming and administration. SRG is seeking to fill this position with a communications/events professional with a minimum of three years of related experience. Salary range is $40,000 to $47,000 plus benefits.
Qualifications: The successful applicant will be expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, English or related subject preferred, but significant, related work experience may be accepted in lieu of degree
• Demonstrated technical skills, including: Constant Contact, WordPress, Microsoft office suite, various online registration programs, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Blog creation
• Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and video experience preferred
• Must be able to work independently, but also be comfortable with collaborative working relationships, relating well with people and partners at all levels and from all communities
• Experience in managing interns, volunteers and/or temporary employees
• Must be able to attend occasional evening or weekend events
• Position requires occasional work outdoors and standing for long periods of time
The Communications, PR & Event Coordinator will be expected to work from SRG’s offices in Pottstown, PA.
Position Details: Following is a more detailed listing of the duties and responsibilities of this position:
• Media relations:
o Write and distribute press releases for all events, trail news, SRG news and Schuylkill River Restoration Fund
o Maintain a current list of media contacts and nurture media relationships
o Provide photos and information to reporters as needed
Email communications through Constant Contact:
• Maintain contact lists
• Create and send out newsletter regularly and email blasts for announcements as needed
• Maintain and post regularly to the following social media sites: Facebook page for both SRG and the SRT, Instagram, Twitter, Blog
• Assist in finishing the introduction of SRG’s new website, in a WordPress format
o Update regularly news, events, grant info, etc.
o Add information and edits as needed
• Write membership appeal, fundraising and sponsorship letters and inserts
• Send out regular email blasts for membership
• Post donation and membership information on our website
Events: Responsible for comprehensive event management for several annual events as well as regular event programming, entailing the following:
• Create announcements and/or invitations
• Promote and market on social media, in press and elsewhere
• Set up and manage registration for event, follow up with registrants
• Secure space, permitting if necessary
• Recruit, manage and organize committees and volunteers
• Communicate with any partners for event
• Coordinate any programming/presenters for event
• Write sponsorship appeal letter
• Update Website with all event activity and updates
• Attend events with other SRG staff
• All publicity: flyers, press releases, email blasts web and social media
• Conduct follow-up surveys
Encompassing 1.2 million acres over 1,700 square miles, Schuylkill River Greenways NHA links 3.2 million people across five Pennsylvania counties – Schuylkill, Berks, Chester, Montgomery and Philadelphia – to the unparalleled opportunities afforded by the Schuylkill River, the Schuylkill River Trail and the surrounding watershed.
The mission of SRG is to connect residents, visitors and communities to the Schuylkill River and the Schuylkill River Trail by serving as a catalyst for civic engagement and economic development in order to foster stewardship of the watershed and its heritage.
The mission is realized by leveraging the River and the award-winning Schuylkill River Trail – both the land and the water trails – as platforms for revitalization of surrounding communities, for stewardship of natural resources, for improved public health through recreation, and for greater appreciation of the region’s cultural heritage. The Schuylkill River Trail is SRG’s signature project – today, there are about 65 completed miles of the planned 135-mile land trail working to connect Frackville to Philadelphia. The Trail also provides connection for the three National Park sites within the Heritage Area.
SRG works with over 140 different formal and informal partners to achieve its vision of the Schuylkill River watershed as a thriving and economically revitalized region, whose residents and visitors understand, value and are fully committed to the stewardship of the river and its heritage. SRG has recently completed a ten year strategic plan, which provides an aspirational and achievable roadmap with a detailed action plan for the next three years and overarching goals for the next decade.
Founded in 1974 as the Schuylkill River Greenway Association, the organization focused on the preservation of the riverfront in Berks and Schuylkill Counties. SRG has grown in its mission and geographic scope over the years and today is a non-profit organization guided by a Board of Directors and supported by a staff of nine. SRG is supported in executing its work through federal (NPS) and state (DCNR) budget appropriations and also through grants and donations from foundations, corporations and individuals committed to advancing SRG’s mission.
The economic benefits derived by the region from SRG’s work are real and significant. The findings of a recent comprehensive economic impact study conducted by Tripp Umbach were impressive: the natural and historical features of SRG generate $589.9 million in economic impact, support over 6,000 jobs, and generate $37.7 million in tax revenue.
Learn more about SRG, its programs, leadership and history by visiting www.schuylkillriver.org.
Salary/Job Requirements: Salary range is $40,000 to $47,000 plus benefits
How to Apply: Please send cover letter and resume via e-mail with the subject line “Communications Position” to: Elaine Schaefer, Executive Director, email@example.com. All submissions must be received by 4 PM on April 11, 2018.
Web Listing: http://www.schuylkillriver.org/Detail.aspx?id=6196