The Devereux Advanced Behavioral Health External Affairs office, located in Villanova, Pa., has an immediate opening for an experienced, enthusiastic and creative professional to join our team as a Communication Specialist. The selected candidate will assist the National Director of Communications in creating compelling content that can be leveraged across multiple platforms, including traditional communications and marketing vehicles, as well as digital platforms, such as: website content (intranet and Internet), email, newsletters, presentations, annual reports, white papers, fundraising materials, marketing materials, talking points, press releases, social media content, etc. This position is integral to the External Affairs department and holds duties involving website content, understanding of internal/external communications best practices, implemetation of various communications vehicles, and social media platforms/tools/content (e.g., Twitter, Facebook).
Essential functions and responsibilities:
· Develop and edit an array of high-impact, time-sensitive communications in support of Devereux’s mission, vision and core values that will appeal to all audiences.
· Create news stories/narratives designed to resonate with, and motivate, key stakeholders.
· Collaborate with leadership, departmental teams and External Affairs colleagues to write compelling stories/content that: 1) internally – increase employee engagement, help drive change and build understanding of the bigger picture at Devereux, and 2) externally — drive fundraising, public relations and advocacy efforts.
· Partner with Communications/External Affairs, Marketing and Development staff on story development/sharing intended for multiple audiences.
· Assist in the implementation of internal and external communications strategies, allowing Devereux to impact industry and regulatory standards using various media including extensive use of Internet applications.
· Understand/follow internal and external communications best practices.
· Collaborate with multi-functional teams of stakeholders across the organization to create and/or edit written materials, ensuring accuracy and alignment with AP Style and brand guidelines.
· Provide consultation, writing and editing services for our national office and centers.
· Maintain and develop a regular news/content flow for Devereux Advanced Behavioral Health’s intranet and Internet.
· Conducts internal/external research to gather data and other information used to support content, solicitations and stewardship. Seeks out information from websites, grant publications, webinars and through other fact finding methods, keeping current with trends.
· Support donor communications efforts, which include: e-communication, social media, newsletter articles, specialized reports and projects.
· Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, English or related field.
· A minimum of five to seven years of experience as a copywriter/editor, content developer or related experience – and demonstrated success in prior positions – preferably in a behavioral health, healthcare and/or nonprofit setting.
· Superior written and oral communication skills; outstanding customer service skills.
· Strong familiarity with, and use of, Associated Press Stylebook.
· Proficient in the use of Microsoft applications, including Powerpoint, Excel Word and other presentation applications.
· Ability to work independently; possess exceptional interpersonal skills and demonstrate an ability to effectively communicate with all levels and diverse groups within, and outside of, the organization.
· Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with strong attention to detail; must have a sense of urgency and be able to operate in a fluid environment with sensitivity to deadlines;
· Ability to manage multiple tasks, as well as successfully adjust priorities to meet departmental/ organizational needs.
· Ability to translate nuanced and complex information related to behavioral healthcare topics into clear and concise language tailored to varied stakeholder audiences.
· Experience writing about health and/or behavioral health related issues is a plus.
· Knowledge of Convio/Luminate and Adobe InDesign/graphic design is a plus.
About Devereux Advanced Behavioral Health:
Devereux Advanced Behavioral Health is one of the largest and most advanced behavioral healthcare organizations in the country. Informed by the latest advancements in science and medicine, we combine evidence-based interventions with compassionate family engagement to help change lives. We were founded in 1912 by special education pioneer, Helena Devereux. Today, Devereux is a national nonprofit partner for individuals, families, schools and communities, serving many of the most vulnerable members of our society in areas of autism, intellectual and developmental disabilities, specialty mental health, and child welfare.
We employ more than 7,000 staff and operate 15 centers in 13 states. We offer a comprehensive national network of clinical, therapeutic, educational, and employment programs and services that positively impact the lives of tens of thousands of children, adults and their families every year.
Competitive salary and benefits:
In addition to a competitive salary, Devereux Advanced Behavioral Health provides a comprehensive health and wellness program to eligible full-time employees, family members and domestic partners. Our health and wellness programs include medical, dental, prescription drug, preventative care, mental health services and an employee assistance / work-life balance program. In addition, we offer generous time-off policies and a 403(b) retirement plan, along with voluntary/employee paid vision, supplemental life and accident coverage to full-time employees.*
Click on the following link to see why we are a great place to work: http://learn.devereux.org/benefits.
*Note: It is the intent of Devereux Advanced Behavioral Health to continue to offer these benefits; however, we reserve the right to change or stop them at any time, with or without notice.
Please attach electronic materials to the following items with your online application:
1. Letter of interest including salary requirements
2. Curriculum vitae
3. Three writing samples
For consideration, please apply online at Communications Specialist-Apply Now or visit our job site at http://jobs.devereux.org and look for posting SUP-17-00016. To learn more about Devereux, please visit our home page at www.devereux.org.
Devereux is a drug free workplace, drug testing required. EOE