Company: The University of the Arts
Job Title: Communications Specialist (2 positions available)
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Job Description: Department: University Communications
The University of the Arts’ Office of University Communications is looking for a creative, collaborative communications specialist with experience in a variety of writing and communications tasks from media relations and news articles, to website content and social media posts, to marketing communications materials. The ideal candidate would be comfortable producing communications for internal and external audiences and must be versed in print, digital and visual media. Strong writing and organizational skills, plus experience in meeting deadlines and working both independently and as part of a team, are musts. Speed and agility in web-based and social media formats also are essential. Increasingly, written content is distributed via digital channels and/or social media. Working in a collaborative environment, the Communications Specialist is part of a team responsible for the University’s media relations efforts.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assists and advises members of the university community regarding communication/public relations issues that have an institutional-wide impact; assists the Associate Vice President for Communications in planning and formulating communication strategies relative to institutional issues and crisis management
• As part of a “news beat” system, builds and maintains key relationships within university community to gather and develop content for multiple uses.
• Develops and disseminates information to internal and external audiences designed to keep them informed of university programs, accomplishments, activities, etc.
• Cultivates and maintains relationships with key news media at local, state and national levels.
• Responds to and follows through on requests for information from the media and the public, determining appropriate, accurate response and appropriate university contacts for response.
• Part of a team that manages the University’s institutional social media accounts, including developing and posting content per the University’s annual content schedule, and monitoring the University’s online presence.
• Writes, edits, reviews and assures appropriate distribution of communications and marketing materials that have a university-wide impact, including news releases, articles and marketing communications materials, both print and digital.
• Plans, writes for, edits and assists in coordinating production of university publications.
• Gathers, writes, edits, copy for web site.
• Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by the incumbent; they do not purport to describe all functions. Incumbent may be assigned other duties, and the essential functions may change from time to time as necessary.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
• Strong writing and editing skills are a must.
• Knowledge of journalism, public relations and marketing principles and practices.
• Knowledge of, and experience in, social media as a communications and marketing vehicle.
• Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
• Ability to use independent judgment and initiative to gather, manage and impart information to the media and various other internal and external audiences.
• Advanced ability to create and edit engaging written content for various print and digital media.
• Organizing and coordinating skills.
• Ability to work in and foster a cooperative work environment.
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
• Ability to write and proof copy in AP style.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree; communications, journalism, marketing or related field preferred.
• At least 3 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY:
The University of the Arts—a leader in developing visual and performing artists and writers since 1876—is the only university in the United States that offers all the arts and only the arts, expanding lives by connecting the performing, visual and communication arts, in both the classroom and the community. UArts is made up of unconventional thinkers and doers from around the world who want to impact society in an era of unprecedented change. The University has developed an innovative, flexible approach to developing artists, designers and writers—a curriculum that champions both exploration and collaboration. Our nearly 1,900 students are enrolled in 26 undergraduate and 23 graduate programs on our campus in the heart of Philadelphia’s Avenue of the Arts.
How to Apply: Interested qualified applicants should submit a letter of application/cover letter and a resume via email to email@example.com. Please ensure job title is in the Subject line.