The Creative Director oversees how the college presents itself, managing the visual representation of its brand strategy and its brand personality. Working with communications colleagues and managing the “creative services” division, the Director is responsible for leading the ideation process, developing creative guidelines and designing/overseeing all creative work, marketing collateral, interior / exterior branding and video storyboarding and art direction. The Creative Director also is responsible for directing and managing creative partners such as freelancers, photographers and printers.
Reporting directly to the Chief Communications Officer, the Creative Director leads a team of one staff member. The Director is recognized as a “senior staff” member within the office and will participate routinely in the annual strategic planning and budget discussions of the office. It is expected the individual in this position work closely and collaboratively with those managing the office’s marketing and communications divisions as well, particularly to ensure projects are completed on time, on brand, and on budget.
Summary and Scope of Position:
• The Creative Director works very closely with the digital content manager, to ensure the college brand is executed successfully across all platforms.
• The director is the college’s leading graphic designer and, as such, creates or directs the design and development of high-profile materials for the college, including for admissions, advancement, alumni affairs and other key stakeholders.
• The individual will also act as a consultant to internal clients, making recommendations and providing feedback to campus partners responsible for department-level marketing efforts. The ability to build and maintain relationships is important; this is a high visibility position that will have to balance many requests in a cordial, confident and straightforward manner.
• This position directs the visual branding of the college and ensures the Ursinus brand and identity is carried forward, across all materials and across the campus, in a cohesive and contemporary manner. In order to accomplish this, the director works closely with other partners, particularly within the communications office and especially with the senior marketing director, to proactively manage the design resources and workflow of communications projects to make sure that all deadlines are met with high quality work that builds the Ursinus brand. The director designs marketing and editorial materials WITH BOTH print and digital formats in mind, allowing us to repackage content creatively and effectively.
• This position also takes the pulse of the campus visitor experience and should work with partners in admissions and facilities to ensure the physical campus environment reflects our visual brand in an appropriate and creative manner.
• Leads a small team that has the responsibility of successfully managing the design, development and execution of the college’s marketing communications priorities, particularly supporting admissions, advancement, alumni affairs and other key stakeholders.
• Assist the CCO to strategically steer the vision for the college, making sure that vision is consistently and cohesively represented in all marketing communications campaigns and collateral.
• Act as a consultant to internal clients, making recommendations and providing feedback to campus partners responsible for department-level marketing efforts. This should always be done in a very timely manner.
• Manage external creative partners such as freelancers, agencies, photographers, videographers and printers.
• In conjunction with project managers, the director will oversee the workflow of communications projects to make sure that all deadlines are met, and all projects remain within budget, with high quality work that builds the Ursinus brand.
Requirements and Qualifications
• Bachelor’s Degree in graphic design, digital design or related field, with 8-10 years’ experience.
• Well versed in the design principles for both print and digital.
• Ability to listen and understand what the stakeholder is looking to accomplish, and translate that into effective marketing collateral.
• Understanding the business realities and changing landscape of higher education.
• Maintaining a calm but confident disposition, while being both decisive able to make the hard decisions.
• Ability to thrive in fast-paced working environment with a high volume of design requests requiring quick turnaround time.
• Strong organizational and time management skills with a proven record of meeting deadlines.
• Ability to provide financially sound design options.
• Open to—and embraces—new ideas and unconventional thinking.
• Maintains a high proficiency in all current design software (particularly Adobe Creative Suite: Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, After Premiere and Photoshop). Working ability of HTML5, CSS. UX/UI is a plus.
• Stays informed on emerging technologies, industry trends and best practices, and communicates those developments in an enthusiastic and inspiring manner.
Anticipated Start Date: December 2018
Interested candidates should apply here.
Once you create an applicant account, you will be prompted to upload your cover letter, resume, and a list with contact information for three references to the applicant database.
Ursinus is an EO/AA employer. Ursinus College does not discriminate on grounds of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, creed, ancestry, veteran status, marital status, disability, or other classification protected by applicable law in the administration of any of its educational programs or activities or with respect to employment