Company: American Board of Internal Medicine
Job Title: Director of Communications, ABIM Foundation
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Job Description: POSITION SUMMARY:
The Director of Communications will develop and implement a communications strategy to support the organizational strategy of the ABIM Foundation, and oversee all day to day communications. This position will supervise the work of the Senior Online Content Manager, and share supervisory responsibility for a communications coordinator. The Director of Communications has a dual reporting relationship to the Senior Vice President of Communications and Executive Vice President/Chief Operating Officer of the Foundation.
• Lead the development, implementation and evaluation of Foundation communications strategies in support of its mission
• Provide strategic communications support and counsel to Senior Leadership, including the Foundation COO/EVP and CEO, as well the Board of Trustees
• Oversee the work of external communications consultants, including public relations, communications research and digital agencies
• Supervise two direct reports and an intern as appropriate
• Lead the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, e-alerts, press releases, fact sheets, and the Foundation’s website content, etc.
• Serve as the lead communication staff supporting the Choosing Wisely campaign. Works closely with specialty society partner communications staff, coordinates announcements and collaborates on joint statements as needed.
• Lead the development of online communications strategies, including social media, blogs, apps and website enhancements that engage audience segments and leads to measurable action
• Oversee Foundation-related work of the Communications Web team and program staff to identify communications opportunities and ensure high quality standards are upheld
• Disseminate Foundation products and research to health care opinion elites and the media
• Develop, implement and evaluate discrete communications plans in support of Foundation activities, such as new research, grants, and other deliverables
• Serves as lead producer on all Foundation video projects
• Manage development of all press materials, including press releases, op-eds, letters to the editor, etc.
• Manage all media requests, including coordination of interviews and message development
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES / EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
• Must possess at least 10 years of communications experience, ideally in an “in-house” leadership role within a complex (number and variety of constituents) nonprofit entity, and covering areas such as campaign strategy, message development, website content, and media relations.
• The ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages, and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels is critical.
• Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies
• Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
• A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
• Ability to effectively manage and develop staff, including setting goals and expectations, and identifying growth opportunities
• Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to “manage by influence”
• High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
• Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
• New media/social media experience a plus
• Degree in marketing, communication, journalism or related field
Benefits: Benefit highlights include comprehensive health plans (three options for medical coverage as well as opt-out), employer contribution of 13% of salary to retirement plan after one year of service, generous PTO, holidays, and commuter and parking benefit.
How to Apply: Send resume and cover letter to: email@example.com