Living Beyond Breast Cancer is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to connect people with trusted breast cancer information and a community of support. LBBC provides support and education for individuals throughout the country who are impacted by breast cancer. LBBC reaches more than 500,000 people annually through our publications, educational programs, website, social media and Breast Cancer Helpline and is headquartered in Bala Cynwyd, Pennsylvania. For more information, visit LBBC.ORG.
We are currently seeking a Copy Editor and Content Coordinator to join our content development team. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in copyediting print and online resources for consumers seeking medical information. The core responsibilities for the position are: copyediting print and online content developed by both internal and external writers, and writing new content for LBBC constituents. The ideal candidate also will be skilled at interpreting complex medical issues and feel comfortable learning to write and edit in LBBC’s style.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Copyediting new educational brochures and revisions of educational brochures to ensure the content is medically accurate, sensitive to the audience and maintains LBBC’s voice.
• Copyediting ongoing educational content, breaking news, medical information, expert bios, and user-submitted content for LBBC.ORG.
• Copyediting newsletters and coordinating sections of LBBC.ORG.
• Regularly reviewing online content for medical updates and revising as needed, under the direction of program staff.
• Writing medical, psychosocial and promotional articles for LBBC.ORG and newsletters.
• Writing promotional email blasts to market content to selected audiences; working with other staff members to develop new approaches to marketing LBBC programs through all platforms.
• Writing or revising educational brochures (as named), working closely with medical and consumer advisory committee professionals to ensure the accuracy, timeliness and sensitivity of content.
• Coordinating still photo shoots and/or video shoots.
• Providing copyediting, proofreading, and design expertise for projects throughout the organization.
• Planning and coordinating freelance assignments and preproduction of print materials (as named).
• Marketing online content by serving as curator for pages that promote educational content.
• Growing and maintaining knowledge about breast cancer, and serving as an expert resource for LBBC staff.
• Overseeing assigned content from conception through publication, including management of writers, reviewers, designers, and printers.
• Interacting with LBBC constituents at education and advancement events to increase awareness of LBBC programs/services and to develop relationships that can result in increased philanthropic support.
Minimum Requirements and Preferred Background
• Bachelor’s degree
• Two years of professional copyediting experience in journalism or for consumer audiences, for both print and online
• Exceptional copyediting and writing skills
• Superior administrative and organizational skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Strong computer application skills with knowledge of Microsoft Office editing applications, graphic design, planning tools, social media, and databases
• Ability to work occasional evening and weekend hours
• Ability to travel within the USA
• Interest or experience in medicine, health or oncology, particularly breast oncology, strongly preferred
• Experience in copyediting or writing using plain language principles
• Experience working in a nonprofit organization
• Superior interpersonal skills and strong desire to work as part of a collaborative team
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please send your cover letter, resume, salary requirements, two relevant copyediting samples and one relevant writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “Copy Editor and Content Coordinator” as your subject line and send all documents as attachments in either Word or PDF format. Application deadline: 3/18/2016.
NO CALLS ACCEPTED
Living Beyond Breast Cancer is an equal opportunity employer. We seek candidates who identify with our mission of connecting people with trusted breast cancer information and a community of support.