Position Location: Radnor, PA
Reporting Relationships This position is a direct report to the head of Corporate External Communications.
This individual interacts with all levels of the organization to support the corporate external communications strategies that protect and enhance the reputation of Lincoln Financial.
Lincoln Financial has adopted a decentralized structure to more directly align marketing resources with the business strategies and to streamline implementation. These changes will help to ensure that Lincoln Financial is positioned to execute on key business strategies. This corporate role is critical in ensuring the Lincoln brand is enhanced and the business units have the expertise and support of all aspects of external communications.
The Manager, Corporate External Communications, contributes to the enterprise’s organizational strategies, policies, priorities and goals by supporting all aspects of external strategic communications planning and programs. S/He collaborates closely across the enterprise to achieve business goals and enhance the brand and reputation of the enterprise, and brings additional perspective to decision-making by tracking industry trends and issues and analyzing partner, client, investor, and employee perceptions of the company. S/He is responsible for supporting the external communications programs that are closely aligned with the short and long-term strategic and financial objectives of Lincoln Financial Group.
• Support the overall strategic vision for the External Communications functional area, and contribute to the overall strategic vision for Lincoln Financial Group through the development and execution of strategic communications and programs.
• Collaborate across the organization to help External Communications achieve its organizational goals and objectives aligned with the integrated communications plans and Lincoln Financial Group’s (LFG) overall business plans and specific strategic and tactical initiatives to drive business results and protect and enhance the brand and reputation of the company.
• Support external communications activities across all touch-points and ensure integration across all of those touch-points.
• Support press and media relations activities that appropriately positions Lincoln in national mainstream and financial print, broadcast, electronic media, and social media.
• Support corporate communications activities aligned to the company’s social media campaign. Responsibilities include monitoring social media networks, developing elements of the strategy, crafting proactive and reactive messages, and partner across the organization as a member of the social media team.
• Systematically cultivate media contacts and relationships and through the use of appropriate technologies, materials and spokespersons in order to ensure timely and accurate delivery of messages.
• Support the development of external communiqués (memos, press releases, fact sheets, backgrounders, video scripts and other written communications and collateral materials that support the enterprise’s Corporate marketing and business development efforts), analyzing the need for and consulting on preparation of information for a range of audiences.
• Study and influence partner, client, investor, and employee perceptions of the company.
• Support and manage effective crisis communications policies and procedures, consult on all incidents and events, and participate in managing through crises and crisis aftermath as needed.
• Support the effective implementation, integration, and execution of External Communications tactical plans and programs.
• Meet all objectives pertaining to quality, compliance, regulations, productivity, customer service, budget, and project management.
• Support the coordination of communication campaigns with the Marketing Leadership team and the lines of business management teams.
• Help track industry trends, issues, and news.
• Support the establishment of benchmarks and performance metrics to track communication effectiveness progress, while maintaining constant focus on bottom-line impact.
Individual Education: Bachelor’s degree required.
Experience & Core Competencies
• This individual is an accomplished professional with 5+ years of responsibility in corporate communications, journalism, marketing, marketing communications, product marketing, and/or public relations roles.
• Understanding of the financial services or insurance industries desirable. Ability to understand Lincoln Financial Group’s internal and external customers and address their needs.
• Experience in supporting and developing strategic initiatives and plans, which have benefited a company’s top and bottom lines.
• Ability to understand the fundamental drivers of the business and the industry at a customer as well as operational level, anticipating change and seeing competitive opportunities in an evolving and growing marketplace.
• Experience as a “thought leader” with respect to customer experience.
• Anticipates future trends and their impact on both the business segment and the enterprise; develops and executes on solutions or, in certain cases, minimize negative exposure.
Functional/ Technical Skills
• Demonstrated track record of developing, managing, and executing effective communications strategies and/or public relations campaigns – including, shaping communication strategies for a range of audiences.
• Sound foundational corporate communications and public relations knowledge.
• Proven ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with all types of mainstream and financial media; broadcast and electronic media.
• Experience in advising and developing messaging for all levels of the organization, including senior management.
• Deep knowledge and ability to apply benchmarks and performance metrics to track progress of marketing programs.
• Strong writing and proofreading skills, including a demonstrated ability to write press releases, presentations, speeches, and communications to the media.
Language & Communications Skills
• Confident, comfortable communicator with outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
• Practices active and attentive listening.
• Excellent presentation skills with demonstrated ability to influence at all levels of management through clear, informed and logical discussions/presentations.
• Communicates knowledgeably and credibly with senior management and internal constituents.
• Advocates effectively, readily commands attention and respect in groups – people listen to and get on board.
• Strong at communicating and influencing others inside and outside the organization, able to persuade and shape the message to achieve the best business outcome for the company.
• Critical thinker with an ability to analyze information and to evaluate the implications of a course of action or strategy.
• Ability to read, analyze and interpret both internal and external documents such as general media/publications, professional journals, technical procedures, governmental regulations, policies, proposals, and standard operating procedures.
Relationship Management/ Operating Skills
• Understands the interdependencies of how people and organizations function, and can negotiate through complex political situations effectively.
• Demonstrates effective interaction at all levels, internally and externally –particularly with media contacts – engendering confidence and professional regard as a trusted, credible and valued colleague who works collaboratively; diplomatic, politically savvy, and sensitive, without being political. Sought after for advice, counsel, and judgment.
• Finds common ground and can gain collaboration among senior management, colleagues and peers – can influence outcomes without directing or commanding.
• Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills with collaborative style.
• Demonstrated experience in motivating others in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
• Excellent in leading project management including, critical ability to coordinate and balance multiple tasks in a time-sensitive environment, under pressure, and meeting deadlines.
• High emotional intelligence
• High level of professionalism
• High integrity strategic skills
• Excellent judgment
• Strong problem solving skills
• Action-oriented, high energy, sense of urgency
• Promotes diversity and inclusion
• Works for the good of the total organization/possess an enterprise-wide mentality
• Relationship builder, connects
• Strong execution/tactical skills
• Self-motivating/good self-management skills
Lincoln Financial Group is the marketing name for Lincoln National Corporation (NYSE:LNC) and its affiliates. With headquarters in the Philadelphia region, the companies of Lincoln Financial Group are known for innovation in life insurance and annuity products and enjoy a leadership position among U.S. companies for life and annuities sales. Lincoln Financial Group has been serving the financial needs of customers since 1905. Through its affiliated companies, Lincoln Financial Group offers: annuities; life, group life, disability and insurance; 401(k) and 403(b) plans; savings plans; and comprehensive financial planning and advisory services.
Product Lines Lincoln Financial companies offer a variety of financial products and services:
• Life Insurance and long-term care protection
• Individual and group retirement plans
• Group benefits
To apply, go to: To apply go to: www.lfg.com/careers