Company: The American Association for Cancer Research (AACR)
Job Title: Manager, Public Relations
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Job Description: The Manager, Public Relations, is responsible for helping to develop and implement strategic public relations and communications initiatives to increase the organization’s visibility and thought leadership as the authoritative voice in cancer research by promoting the AACR’s myriad of scientific programs, science policy and regulatory affairs initiatives, and philanthropic effort. The Manager will also assistant in the execution of the AACR’s public affairs program, which is dedicated to educating the public about cancer and cancer research. This person will help grow awareness of the AACR to key external stakeholders including the media, public, patient advocates and advocacy groups, government, cancer centers, pharmaceutical and health-related companies, as well as its membership and other key partners.
The Manager, Public Relations, must be a strategic thinker with an excellent track record in media relations who is also experienced in community event planning and promotion. The Manager must also be a strong writer, ideally with cancer or health care experience, who has a talent for building effective external and internal relationships that strategically align with an organization’s objectives. This position will also work intra- and inter-departmentally to leverage the AACR’s communications platforms and channels including social media, website, webinars, e-newsletter, and email marketing. This position reports to the Director, Public Relations.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
• Secure stories in the news in national, Philadelphia-regional, international, and trade media. Enhance existing relationships and forgo new connections with the media to increase quanity and quality of media placements promoting the AACR’s scientific meetings and journals, AACR Foundation, and its Science Policy and Government Affairs department.
• Assist in the identification of newsworthy science and work in partnership with the PR team, team of science writers, and other staff to promote the research to the media and the public.
• Promote the AACR Foundation’s events and cause-marketing partnerships to the public by securing targeted media that supports its fundraising efforts and underscores its philanthropic mission.
• Assist in providing public relations support for the AACR’s Office of Science Policy and Government Affairs in support of legislative and regulatory initiatives.
• Support press room operations at large AACR meetings. Assist in managing press conferences in conjunction with the Director, Assistant Director and broader team.
• Assist the Director in the strategic growth of the public affairs program by helping to execute live and online public education events, partnerships, and sponsorships.
• Help develop and execute the AACR’s flagship Public Forum, regional educational events, community events, and webinars. Manage promotional strategy including marketing, social media, media relations, and community engagement.
• Increase public-facing opportunities for the AACR to serve as a resource by identifying new channels and stakeholders to disseminate the AACR’s robust scientific content.
• Assist in increasing opportunities to integrate the voice of patients and survivors within AACR’s communications to the media and the public by growing relationships with advocates and cancer organizations.
• Support the promotion of the AACR June L. Biedler Prize for Cancer Journalism.
• Work with the Cancer Today staff to leverage the AACR brand with the magazine’s marketing and community efforts.
• Write and edit content for various communications including press releases, media newsletters, and other communications as assigned.
• Utilize Cision to maintain accurate media lists, track and leverage media influencers, and report and analyze results.
• Maintain professional and technical knowledge through personal education and development.
• Perform other public relations and communications responsibilities and assist with special projects as needed.
Essential Skills and Knowledge:
• 5+ years of experience in public relations with a strong track record in proactive media outreach. Ideally, this candidate would have experience working in health care or a related field with national and Philadelphia-regional media contacts.
• Experience in planning events, including managing the promotion, logistics, budget, and engagement with community stakeholders.
• Experience in engaging public audiences via exhibiting at community events, and utilizing public relations to collaborate with external individuals and groups to achieve a common goal.
• Knowledge of marketing, website, and social media channels.
• Excellent verbal, writing, and editing skills, with the ability to translate complex science into communications for the public.
• Ability to effectively handle numerous tasks, matters, issues, and assignments with minimal support staff.
• Ability to develop strong working relationships.
• Ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
• Experience working in a nonprofit, hospital, or health care institution; experience with fundraising and government affairs public relations and/or communications, a plus.
• Bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications, journalism, or related field; graduate degree a plus.
How to Apply: Please submit your cover letter and resume (including salary expectations) to: Human Resources, 615 Chestnut Street, 17th Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19106, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Fax: (215) 440-1045