Media Relations / Communications Manager
Office: College Communications
In this position, the Media Relations / Communications Manager will be responsible for bringing visibility to Ursinus College through greater recognition among national media and reporters covering higher education. This is an opportunity for an individual who is an enthusiastic supporter of the liberal arts—someone who is collaborative, adept at building strong working relationships across campus and thrives in an environment where wearing multiple hats is part of the job. We’re looking for an unconventional thinker who understands the higher education landscape and has an appreciation of contemporary media relations practices, technology and assessment, and
Working with the Chief Communications Officer and with those in the Office of College Communications, this position will act as a steward for the college’s growing reputation. The individual will review the higher education landscape and seek opportunities to position Ursinus as a thought leader among the liberal arts and creatively promote its vibrant undergraduate research culture. The manager will also support community relations activities and work to create a stronger awareness of Ursinus and its programs throughout the Philadelphia region and local communities. The ability to build and maintain relationships is important; this is a high visibility position that will have to balance many requests in a cordial, confident and straightforward manner. We’re looking for applicants who are team-players, hard-workers, risk-takers and original thinkers!
• Create an awareness among external audiences and particularly the media of the strength of our faculty/student research, our curriculum and vision of the liberal arts. Successfully pitch stories to the media and monitor, through analytics, earned coverage.
• Cultivate relationships with local and national media as well as college and community leaders.
• Identify opportunities and subject matter that aligns with Ursinus’s strategic priorities, and help implement an integrated communications plan across all media channels to ensure maximum impact.
• Be able to create and to drive content across a number of platforms.
• An awareness of crisis communications and issues management policy, acting as a spokesperson when appropriate.
• Identify trends in higher education and create positioning statements, issue analyses, talking points and messaging. This person understands higher education and is able to translate jargon for appropriate external audiences.
• Just as important: Someone with a great, engaging personality who enjoys working on a college campus and in an environment that is constantly changing—someone who can contribute to our creative culture.
Requirements and Qualifications
• Five to seven years of experience in the communications profession. This individual has interacted with media or has been a member of the media.
• Higher education experience STRONGLY preferred; non-profit experience recommended.
• Demonstrated experience 1) generating news coverage of issues or events, and 2) contributing to an organization’s crisis communication / issues management efforts.
• Ability to establish and maintain strong and collaborative working relationships with key constituencies.
• Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, including flexibility in writing style and tone. Strong editing skills necessary.
• Willing to assist in generating content and writing articles for the web and for our publications.
Anticipated Start Date
Please submit a letter of interest, a resume, and three references via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org(Human Resources Office). Also include examples of successfully earned media coverage. We will review applications as received and will continue to do so until the position is filled.
Ursinus College is a highly selective, residential college with 1,650 students. Ursinus is among the top 100 national liberal arts colleges in the United States. The College has 65 buildings on a campus of 180 acres located in the suburbs of Philadelphia in Collegeville, Pennsylvania.
Ursinus College is an AA/EO Employer. Ursinus College does not discriminate on grounds of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, creed, ancestry, veteran status, marital status, disability, or other classification protected by applicable law with respect to all aspects of employment.