The Office of University Communications oversees news media relations, communications and marketing activities at Drexel, working with stakeholders across the University. The office ensures that all Drexel communications both serve the University’s mission and goals and adhere to Drexel policies and standards.
The News Officer is part of a team that reports to the Director of Media Relations. The News Officer is responsible for generating a high level of media coverage and increasing awareness of the University’s mission, programs and initiatives, in local, regional and national print, broadcast and online media. The News Officer assists the Director of Media Relations in spotting trends and identifying and researching story ideas related to Drexel’s School of Education, the humanities of the College of Arts and Sciences, Kline School of Law, Pennoni Honors College, Center for Hospitality and Sport Management and the arts of the Westphal College of Media Arts & Design.
The News Officer also assists in generating content for a news website and other online and print promotional material as it pertains to media relations, and assists in keeping track of Drexel placements.
• Identify trends and researches story ideas to write press releases and pitch these stories to media
• Build and maintain relationships with journalists and producers
• Assist with the editing of a summary of media placements for the Drexel Daily News Report, an online newsletter for students, faculty and staff
• Pitch experts to comment on current events to the media
• Respond to media requests on a tight deadline
• Help maintain files of media placements and create media coverage reports for deans
• Provide content for online outreach to media and external audiences through Drexel’s current news website and contribute to social media accounts
• Must check messages for urgent media requests on evenings and weekends
• Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s Degree in journalism, public relations or communications
• Minimum of 4 years professional experience working in media relations (clips required to show media hits).
• Possess excellent oral, written, listening, editing and interpersonal skills
• Possess subject matter expertise including thorough knowledge of media; proven ability to pitch stories to journalists; understanding of best practices in social media as they relate to media relations; experience in planning media events
• Ability and willingness to work nights and weekends as needed required
• Possess strong customer service focus
How to Apply:
Resumes only accepted online at: www.drexeljobs.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=80823