Summary: Our client has an opportunity for a Senior Manager of Public Affairs who will be responsible for identifying opportunities, developing strategy and managing the execution of internal and external public relations programs to protect and enhance the Company’s reputation. The senior manager must be able to think strategically and provide thoughtful counsel to a broad range of internal and external contacts across all levels of management. The senior manager is responsible for the supervision of public relations firms and management of internal client relationships to help execute communications programming.
Responsibilities include serving as a company spokesperson on business activities, issues and performance.
Core Job Responsibilities
• Work extensively with national and international business as a primary spokesperson for brand, especially in business press. Enhance visibility of brands/company and protect company reputation. Develop strategy and programming-and oversee execution for corporate PR programming product/brand.
• Interface with various division and corporate constituencies, including government affairs, investor relations, legal, finance, marketing, regulatory, medical, clinical and senior management.
• Oversee development of messages, press materials and other communications tools.
• Develop executive communications and support employee communications initiatives.
• Develop issues management plans, and oversee execution of plans often acting as company spokesperson.
• Develop strategic communications and competitive positioning for brand and/or company, with particular emphasis on competitive environment and marketplace.
• Oversee PR agency management and conduct/oversee PR agency competitive bidding/selection process.
• Identify and anticipate issues and work with appropriate functions to counsel management on reputation/business impact and influence business decision making process.
• Coach senior divisional executives and third-party spokespeople on delivery of messages.
Assist department head in managing and shaping department policies and procedures. Ensure proper adherence to all financial and administrative policies. Ensure programs fall within budget parameters and all paperwork is completed in appropriate manner (invoice logging, purchase orders, statements of work, etc.).
The senior manager reports to Division/Corporate Director of Public Affairs. All division PR functions have a dotted line reporting relationship into Corporate Public Affairs. This position works with a broad range of internal and external constituencies across all levels of management and functions at both the corporate and division level, including marketing, clinical development, regulatory affairs, operations, quality, HR, government affairs, investor relations, legal and finance. The senior manager also maintains budget responsibility for PR programming within their scope of work at the division or corporate level.
Education & Experience:
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Public Relations, Communications, Business, Marketing or related field is required.
• A minimum of 8 years experience in the development and execution of public relations programs with emphasis on media relations is necessary for this position.
• Experience dealing with top-tier business reporters preferred.
• Must have proven excellent, verbal and problem-solving skills and demonstrated success in developing and executing communications impacting reputation.
• Ability to travel 20% to 30% both national and international
• Diagnostic, medical devices, pharmaceutical or healthcare experience is needed.