Job Description: Reporting to the Assistant Director for Strategic Communications, the Communications Intern in the Penn Medicine Department of Public Affairs will serve as an extension of both the media relations and publications teams. The Intern will work closely with the Press Officers to build media lists and compile media reports, facilitate on-site media escorts and take the lead on writing projects including blog posts, award announcements, press releases, etc. The intern will also work with the Director of Internal Publications, Digital Communications Manager, and the Communications Specialist to assist with the development of the department’s suite of publications – both in creating content and laying out email newsletters.
This position will also include a marquee “special project,” which the intern will work the Assistant Director for Strategic Communications to conceptualize, research, and execute. The project may include a campaign around new health system buildings, programs or initiatives with news media, internal publications, and social media components. At the completion of the 14-week program, the Intern should leave Penn Medicine with a portfolio of materials that span writing samples, digital publications, media placements, strategy and planning documents, and social media content and reports.
HOURS & CREDIT:
• Course credit available as appropriate
• 35 hours per week for summer session
• Tasks include media monitoring, media list building, writing and communications materials, and pitching stories.
• Participate in brainstorming sessions and contribute ideas
• Work with publications team to report and write stories
• Compile content as needed into the department’s daily, weekly, and monthly email newsletters using email marketing software
• Create and share content on Penn Med News social media channels (create campaign content, live tweet from events, etc.)
• Assist with miscellaneous projects and coordination of media events
• A minimum of 2 to 3 years of undergraduate coursework in the fields of Communications, Public Relations, or Journalism (recent college graduates or students enrolled in graduate programs in these areas are welcome).
• Excellent writing/communication skills with proficient understating of AP Style
• Knowledge of the basics of media relations, such as pitching and building media lists
• Familiarity with professional uses of social media
• Ability and/or interest in learning digital communications skills and tools including social media management tools, email marketing, and simple image and HTML editing
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suites (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
• Excellent attention to detail
• Good time management skills and meet deadlines
• Ability to effectively manage one’s own time to work on multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
• Interest in health care, science, and medicine, a plus
Hours: 35 hours per week for summer session
How to Apply: Email cover letter, resume and at least two writing samples (representing PR and/or journalism work) to Katie Delach, Assistant Director of Strategic Communications, at Katie.email@example.comApplications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until April 15, 2019. Summer Internship will begin on/around May 20, 2019 (flexible).