The Association for Frontotemporal Dementias (AFTD) is seeking a Director of Communications & Marketing reporting to the Executive Director.
The Association for Frontotemporal Dementias is a 501(c)3 organization whose mission is to: promote and fund research; provide education and support to persons with frontotemporal dementia (FTD), their families and caregivers; educate physicians and health professionals about FTD; and to advocate for the entire FTD community. Join the small staff at this rapidly growing organization in support of our international community.
The Director of Communications & Marketing is responsible for designing and carrying out a comprehensive marketing and communications strategy that effectively conveys AFTDs message to our target audiences (families, donors, physicians, researchers, professional caregivers, partnering organizations, broader public). S/he has extensive interaction with all aspects of our constituency and, as such, is a critical point person who sets the tone for collaborations within our growing community. The Director of Communications & Marketing reports to the Executive Director and works closely with the program staff, Board members and volunteers to advance the organizations mission.
– Communications: Work with graphic designers, freelance writers and staff to create and brand our message. Manage design and production of all printed materials (press kit, annual report, tri-annual newsletter, brochures, etc.). Take the lead on additional marketing/outreach projects (promotional video, Faces of FTD) as funding for these special projects is secured.
– Electronic Media: Website: Perform weekly review and updates to ensure that all time sensitive information is current. Work with program staff to assess effectiveness of web content and structure, and expand
to maximum effect. Email: Develop and produce regular monthly e-update that engages recipients, conveys action/progress and drives people to our website and to donate.
– Public Relations: Create a press kit that delivers a branded message; develop media contacts, write and distribute press releases; manage and triage calls from the press; work with families to create and maximize
PR opportunities; reach out to appropriate media outlets to proactively create news stories about FTD.
– Events: Provide staff support for family-initiated grassroots events to maximize visibility of AFTD and public FTD awareness. Create a replicable, branded annual event that promotes awareness and raises funds for AFTD.
Occasional travel will be required.
– Bachelors degree required; Masters or equivalent degree in marketing or communications preferred.
– Four to five years experience in a marketing/communications position; knowledge of non-profit health field/rare disease organizations a plus.
– Excellent communication and writing skills; the ability to relate productively with all aspects of the AFTD community, including: Board members, staff, volunteers, caregivers, patients, scientists,
clinicians, and funders.
– Experience in creating and/or fostering a geographically disparate community a plus
– Excellent organizational skills and time management; the ability to manage several concurrent projects
– Technical skills: proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint; experience in website management, databases, and other electronic media tools
– The successful candidate will have a professional, warm manner, be a flexible team player, and exhibit a willingness to take on new challenges
Salary commensurate with experience. ~ $50,000, No health benefits.
Contact: Please send a resume and cover letter with salary history to: email@example.com or AFTD, Radnor Station Bldg. #2 Ste 200, 290 King of Prussia Road, Radnor, PA 19087