Company: The American Association for Cancer Research
Job Title: Manager, Public Affairs
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Job Description: The Manager, Public Affairs, is responsible for helping to develop and implement strategic public affairs, media and communications initiatives, partnerships, and programs to create awareness of the AACR to key external stakeholders including the public, media, advocacy groups, the government, cancer centers and other scientific and clinical institutions, pharmaceutical and health-related companies, and also its membership and other key partners.
The Manager, Public Affairs, must be a strong writer and strategic thinker, and must be able to build effective external and internal relationships to help grow the visibility of the AACR. This position will assist in helping leverage various communications vehicles and platforms including media relations, social media, event programs, advocacy, and thought leadership to help increase external awareness of the AACR and cancer research. This position will also lend support to the media relations team as needed, and will support overall AACR communications projects. The position reports to the Associate Director, Public Affairs.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
• Responsible for supporting and helping to execute strategic public affairs and communications programs to build awareness of the AACR to both public and member audiences.
• Help execute Public Forums and educational events at the Annual Meeting and in local markets.
• Write and edit content for various media relations and communications initiatives for the organization and AACR Foundation, including press releases, media advisories, website content, social media posts, video and blog content, and other communication projects as assigned.
• Assist with pitching media on Foundation and Government Affairs activities and events.
• Assist and support media relations team with the AACR Annual Meeting and other scientific initiatives, as needed.
• Build and maintain strong relationships with local and national media.
• Work with AACR Foundation staff members on events and external communications to increase the public visibility and awareness of the AACR.
• Assist the Associate Director to help create and build meaningful relationships with community organizations and high-profile external stakeholders.
• Support the AACR June L. Biedler Prize for Cancer Journalism.
• Work on advocacy programs with survivor and patient advocacy.
• Work with the Cancer Today staff to leverage the AACR brand with the magazine’s marketing and community efforts.
• Maintain professional and technical knowledge through personal education and development.
• Perform other communications and media relations responsibilities and assist with special projects as needed.
Essential Skills and Knowledge:
• 5+ years of experience in public affairs and/or media relations.
• Experience in engaging public audiences via exhibiting at community events, and utilizing public relations to collaborate with external individuals and groups to achieve a common goal.
• Excellent verbal and writing skills, with the ability to translate complex science into communications for the public.
• Proven track record placing stories in print, broadcast, and online media both in regional markets and nationally.
• Ability to effectively handle numerous tasks, matters, issues, and assignments with minimal support staff.
• Ability to develop strong working relationships.
• Ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
• Experience working in a nonprofit, hospital, or health care institution; experience with fundraising and government affairs public relations and/or communications, a plus.
Education and Training:
• Bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications, journalism, or related field; graduate degree a plus.
Salary/Job Requirements: Competitive salary offered
Hours: Full Time 40 hours per week
Benefits: Very competitive benefits package
How to Apply: Send resume and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org