Job Title: Public Relations Specialist
Location: Malvern, PA
Job Description: Vanguard is seeking an experienced PR to serve as a spokesperson and press representative for The Vanguard Group.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Responds promptly to daily inquiries from the news media – including wire services, blogger, financial websites, newspapers, and personal finance/business publications – and acts as an accessible, responsive, credible, quotable, and resourceful spokesperson.
• Handles incoming calls in a timely manner (on pick-up or within one hour) and provides clear, candid, and accurate statements and/or background information to the media.
• Employs persuasion and influence skills effectively to 1) maintain Vanguard’s image and reputation among media and shareholders; 2) promote Vanguard funds and services; 3) advance Vanguard’s identified business and communications goals.
• Develops and strengthens working relationships with members of the news media, as well as identifies and cultivates new press contacts.
• Maintains regular contact with members of the news media via phone, e-mail, mailings, and face-to-face encounters and visits.
• Plans and researches story ideas to proactively pitch to media representatives.
• Arranges interviews with executives, ambassadors, and portfolio managers, and fully and properly prepares Vanguard’s ambassadors and media member for press engagements.
• Develops and maintains effective, strong, collaborative relationships with team members, internal business clients, investment management personnel, marketing personnel, ambassadors, members of senior staff, as well as external advisors, vendors, and clients, in order to develop, plan, and execute media activities.
• Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience required. Degree in journalism, communication or PR preferred. Graduate degree in communications or business preferred.
• Minimum 10 years’ experience, with 5 years in public relations or related area performing similar responsibilities. 7-10 years of PR experience in the mutual fund or related industry preferred.
• Strong interpersonal skills and professional demeanor.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively and independently on multiple projects.
• Demonstrated ability to explain complex subject matter in plain English.
• Knowledge of financial services industry, particularly mutual fund investing and financial markets.
• Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Demonstrated ability to work with various departments and levels of management including senior executives.
• Demonstrated ability to write quickly and meet deadlines.
• Willingness to “cover” corporate events outside usual business hours. Special Factors
• Ability to work special hours and be on call 24 by 7.
• Limited travel from time to time.
Benefits: Vanguard offers a competitive compensation package, including best-in-class health care coverage, a generous retirement and savings plan, paid time off, and work-life and wellness programs. For complete information please visit the Vanguard careers website.
How to Apply: For more information, please go to Vanguard Careers website and search Job #104007, or connect with Barb Bronson, Sr. Recruiter, on Linked In or at Barbara_J_Bronson@Vanguard.com.