Job Title: Vice President, Strategic Communications (Public Relations & Corporate Communications)
Reports to: Executive Vice President, Strategic Communications
FSLA: Exempt Date of Last Review: January, 2015
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Opportunity Finance Network (OFN) is the leading national network of community development financial institutions (CDFIs) investing in opportunities that benefit low-income, low-wealth, and other disadvantaged communities across America. OFN Members are performance-oriented, responsible investors that finance community businesses, spark job growth in the areas that need it most, and deliver both sound financial returns and real changes for people and communities.
To learn more about OFN, visit:www.ofn.org.
Women, People of Color, Minorities, and LGBT candidates are encouraged to apply.
Position Summary and Essential Functions:
The Vice President, Strategic Communications (Public Relations & Corporate Communications) is a member of the Strategic Communications team and leads public relations, social media, and other news-making strategies to build the reputation and visibility of OFN and the CDFI industry. The VP oversees one Senior Associate. The VP will manage an external Public Relations agency, conduct media relations, coordinate interview opportunities, and write or oversee the creation of pitches, press releases, articles, and content for media placement, and/or OFN’s CDFI Connect mobile news platform, e-newsletter, and social media presence (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and others). This also includes developing strategic partnerships and cultivating new and existing relationships with reporters, editors, and key influencers in all forms of media and issue areas. Additionally, the VP liaises with OFN’s lines of business and Members to secure relevant data, information, and borrower success stories to be used in a variety of communications channels.
The individual hired for this position will be committed to “making news” and will possess outstanding written and verbal English communication skills. They will be responsible for a variety of corporate communications, including copywriting, editing, and proofing the monthly company newsletter, the daily mobile news service, program strategy documents, and more. Additional project work includes providing support for awards programs, annual conference, and other efforts as assigned. Reports to and takes direction from Executive Vice President, Strategic Communications regarding all aspects of branding, marketing, and strategic communications.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Collaborates with EVP, Strategic Communications to develop targeted media placement strategy, utilizing diverse PR tactics such as press releases, op eds, in person meetings, and events to maximize coverage and position OFN’s reputation, visibility, and role as the industry thought leader.
a. Leverage OFN’s diverse advocacy, consulting, research, branding, and
b. Leverage OFN’s partnerships and partner programs.
c. Feature OFN executives, OFN data, OFN Member stories, etc.
• Delivers significant visibility for the organization, our partners, and our Member CDFIs by identifying opportunities to drive content to top-tier and trade publications, as well as broadcast and online media outlets.
• Serves as day-to-day contact with influencers—media, bloggers, and opinion leaders—and develops ongoing relationships with them.
• Identifies timely story angles, crafting pitches, and pitching media directly and/or with agency support to secure coverage of OFN and the CDFI industry
• Copywriting, editing, and proofreading of press releases, op ed articles, and related materials
• Tracks moving stories in mainstream media, DC media, business media, and philanthropic media outlets.
• Liaises with communications staff of outside partners and public relations firms.
• Prepares for media interviews, including coordinating, scheduling, and follow-up, as well as liaising with internal lines of business for pertinent facts and data as well as
Member organizations for relevant borrower stories, and fact-checking of articles and stories where appropriate
• Bachelor’s degree or 10 years’ experience in communications, public relations, marketing, journalism or a related field required; Master’s degree a plus
• Minimum 5 years demonstrated experience in a public relations role required, 7-10 years demonstrated experience preferred.
• 3 or more years supervisory experience required Professional experience representing financial services, community development finance, nonprofit, or membership organizations to diversity, mainstream, and trade media a plus
• Experience in political and/or issues campaigns preferred strategic initiatives.
• Experience at reaching diversity media outlets and crafting diversity messaging required
• Knowledge of marketing and communication practices and applications as well as familiarity with current online social media sources (e.g. Twitter, Facebook, blogging, other emerging technologies)
• Established media relationships with diversity, trade, and mainstream media outlets
• Excellent interpersonal skills, flexibility, and the ability to effectively interact with a diverse range of people in a manner that positively portrays OFN.
• Superior proven project management skills; excellent presentation skills; ability to convey complex information in a clear manner to a diverse audience
• Superior writing and editing skills, including high attention to detail
• Ability to prioritize and develop an effective work plan to manage multiple projects simultaneously
• Understanding of and commitment to communicating the need for equitable financial outcomes for communities of color and other economically marginalized communities
• Ability to work both independently and in team environment required
• Ability to manage multiple tasks under minimal supervision in effective and efficient manner required
• Limited travel required
• Proficiency with MS Office Excel, Windows, PowerPoint; proficiency with MS Office Access a plus.
• No extraordinary physical requirements beyond ability to travel.
• Job involves normal physical requirements for an office position.
Salary Commensurate with Experience
To Apply: Send letter of interest, salary requirement and resume to:
Search: Strategic Communications
Opportunity Finance Network
620 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106